The Intralinks platform is built to fit dozens of financial services use cases. Serving many different client needs involved creating hundreds of settings that had to be managed by the customer success team.
The need to contact support became a source of frustration for analysts. This initiative aimed to empower our fast-paced collaborators to be able to set-up a data room at record-breaking speed.
I served as both the lead researcher and interaction designer for this initiative. I worked closely with our UX writer and visual designer to ensure that the end screens were polished and that the content was easily understood.
My Project Contributions
With over 100 settings, a single list-style page caused mental fatigue. Before sketching out wireframes, information architecture discovery was needed.
- Collaborated with UX writing to create a hypothesis
- Tested the theory with a stakeholder audience. (closed card sort)
- Reduced the categories from 9 to 6.
One of the largest barriers to adoption was presenting complex content in a digestible way.
Design, Test Iterate
The design involved multiple iterations on the page layout and interactions. The card sort results helped to drive content bucket decisions.
Due to the complexity and potential implications of applying security settings, the UX writing underwent several rounds of microcopy testing. Additionally, Invision was used to collaborate with key stakeholders throughout the design cycles.
Increased transparency through contextual help empowered fast-paced collaborators to configure VDRs quickly and easily. The reliance on our customer success team by 10% with six months of implementation. Usage analytics were implemented into the redesign effort, and the team was able to track the most popular settings that were modified. This led to modifications on the content bucketing, ensuring the most popular settings were shown first in the list.
- Card sort findings applied in left rail navigation.
- Due to technical constraints, some settings must be activated by customer service. Visual indicators and contextual help are embedded in the interface, informing the user of limitations.
- Intralinks has a set of complex roles that have been a source of confusion. Revealing role capabilities within the settings workflow empowers analysts to make informed decisions.